Strength and Hope Walk
On September 11, 2012, Ski’s Open Heart Foundation will be hosting a Strength & Hope Walk from Montauk Point to the Ground Zero Memorial. The start time is 8:46 A.M. The walk is to remember and honor Det. Lt / MEC USCG Christopher M. Pupo (February 2, 1972 – June 23, 2012) and all those that have lost their lives after 9/11. 50% of the money raised will go to a scholarship fund for Chris’s three daughters and 50% will be donated to Ski’s Open Heart Foundation.
It is approximately 130 miles and Ski’s Open Heart Foundation will be requesting volunteers to meet up with the walkers approximately every 10 miles so they can refuel their camel backs.
The stops will include:
- 10 miles: Montauk Highway w a x of Old Montauk Highway, eta 11 Sept 1146hrs;
- 20 miles: Montauk Highway w x of Pond View Lane in E Hampton, eta 11Sept 1446hrs;
- 30 miles: Montauk Highway x of Cobb Rd S Hampton/Water Mill, eta 11Sept 1746hrs;
- 40 miles: County Rd 80 x of Springville Rd. Hampton Bays, eta 11 Sept 2046hrs;
- 50 miles: Montauk Highway x of Tanner Neck Lane W Hampton, eta 11Sept 2346hrs;
- 60 miles: Montauk Highway x of William Floyd Shirley, eta 12 Sept 0246hrs;
- 70 miles: Montauk Highway x of N Ocean Ave Patchogue, eta 12 Sept 0546hrs;
- 80 miles: Montauk Highway x of Carleton Ave E Islip, eta 12 Sept 0846hrs;
- 90 miles: Montauk Highway x of Wellwood Ave Lindenhurst, eta 12 Sept 1146hrs;
- At this point, the walkers will stop for approximately 3 hours;
- 100 miles: Montauk Highway x of Bellmore Ave Bellmore, eta 12 Sept 1746hrs
- 110 miles: W. Merrick Rd x of N. Central Ave Valley Stream, eta 12 Sept 2046 hrs
- 120 miles: Atlantic Ave x of Montauk Ave,eta 12 Sept 2346 hrs (This will be last stop before final walk to Ground Zero)
The walkers should arrive at Ground Zero on September 13, at approximately 0246 hrs, depending on access availability into the memorial. All times are estimated arrival times’s and if everything goes beyond perfect we will be continually update the progress of the walk on our website.
Whats Needed: Volunteers to meet up at any of the above 10 mile markers to re supply us with water and fruit. We will stop in Deli’s along route for food or use supplements during night.